Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tea for Two

We officially have a new, back to school tradition. Hope and I had tea yesterday at the lovely Queen Anne's Tea House downtown. We had been talking about it for a while and she was so excited. Hope picked cherry cordial tea (yum) and I had their famously rich Chai. They served a full lunch with it including sandwiches, mini quiche, fruit, deviled eggs, and, for dessert, iced brownies and chocolate covered strawberries. Yum!

When we got there, the owners made such a fuss over us. They told us we could wear some of their fancy hats and their feather boas if we wanted...which, of course, we did! It was so great to just sit there and talk to my big girl about the things that are important to her. And, it was a great opportunity to talk about what this year will be like and how she can be God's light at her school.

And then...we went shopping for school clothes. It's funny. I can remember, as a kid, wondering whether my mom was ever sad that she didn't get a fall shopping spree every year like we did when we were in school. Now I know that she had so much fun just watching us try things on and figuring out what kinds of things we liked and what we didn't. It was such a blast and we got some really cute things.

So, in two more weeks my baby heads off to school and I can hardly believe it's already here. Of course, I am a little sad, but I also know that I can embrace it in full knowledge that every year with Hope has always been sweeter than the one before. It is such a joy to be her mom as every year brings more discoveries about who God created her to be. So, even though I am a little sad, I am also really excited to walk with her into this next phase. She's gonna do great. Man, her teacher is a lucky one. :) Just look at this face.


P.S. Plus, I am sending her there with a rockin' backpack. She picked out the purple, and the accessories and I embroidered her name on it and used a super easy method to make an iron on applique. So fun! I can't take credit for the idea, though. My friend, Yolanda did her daughter's first. Thanks for the inspiration, Yo!

7 comments:

Melodie said...

what a fun day for you 2! and by the way, your bottom lashes look super long in that picture. new mascara maybe? :) love you!

The Coopers said...

how fun was that? hopie looks so cute and I bet you guys had a great mother/daughter bonding! love you all!

Amy said...

This is precious. What a great tradition and one I may have to borrow/steal. You both look lovely and I love, love the idea of celebrating her into kindergarten. (I'll have a box of kleenexs and a mojito in case you fall apart later.)

Jess said...

What a fantastic tradition and something that she will remember forever! She is so gorgeous! I can't believe it's already time for her to start kindergarten. Where has the time gone?

Erin said...

I'm loving this tradition. What a great mother/daughter time. The pictures are adorable. :)

Phyllis said...

You are such an awesome mom!! Great tradition. I know her teacher will fall in love with her the minute she sees her! Give out hugs from us!

The Myers said...

What a special tradition! Love it and that sweet pic of Hope too! :)