Friday, May 1, 2009

Share, and Share Alike

Of all the inner struggles I face regarding parenting, my selfishness is probably the most constant. I don’t always want to share my cereal, or my chair. I would like to buy a pack of gum that is only mine, or keep the change in my purse for myself. I don’t always want to stop reading my book or put down my coffee to “come and see.” And I don’t always enjoy sharing my bed, my blanket, my lip gloss, my jewelry, or my time in the bathroom with my small children.


I know that this struggle begins early, though. I know because I can see my kids already fighting this battle. I have already had to utter that little word probably hundreds, if not thousands, of times in my brief career as a parent. Share. And I get so frustrated with them for not wanting to. But, here I am, battling the same thing. Mentally crossing my arms and jutting out my chin.


I’m not crazy. I know that I can’t just chuck the whole idea. I wouldn't want to, anyway. Can you imagine the chaos at play dates alone?!? And I know that sharing isn’t just about parting with something so someone else can be happy. Really, it’s about love. It’s about loving people more than things, and more than ourselves. And so, when I ask my kids to share, I am fundamentally asking them to put their desires aside and to love someone else sacrificially. Hmmm….sounds a lot like the job of a parent. Busted.


Lord, help me to love more like you.

2 comments:

Coloradosnowbaby said...

The idea that we ought to love one another more than ourselves (essentially sharing isn't it?!) is one often forgotten by all of us I'm afraid... I love that children are always such a reminder of the simple lessons that God asks us to remember and live by, eh?! Parenting is not easy- I know that from watching all of you! I'll never have to endure it myself! You amanda, and the rest of my 'parent' friends out share the stories that always seem to lead back to the very basic and most important lessons God would have me learn. Keep the lessons coming amanda... they help me 'remember' what my soul already knows!
xoxo- love you!! ms

Jess said...

Thank you for this reminder. This is one of those things that I don't put as much thought into as I should.